Application of Changeable Message Signs in Traffic
AbstractIn the Republic of Croatia, changeable message signs arebeing introduced on high-serviceability roads in order to improvethe flow management in the network and increase thetraffic safety leveL The equipment installed in the past was notset according to the unique criteria, thus resulting in the installationof relatively incompatible equipment set in a disorganisedmanner. The work presents the basic guidelines in applyingchangeable message signs, primarily on the Croatian motorways.The types and levels of influence on the traffic are described,and the traffic and weather criteria for the applicationof changeable message signs are defined. The paper also analysesthe principles of installing the changeable message signs onroads and road facilities, recommending priorities in presentingthe changeable signs.
Pravilnik o prometnim znakovima, opremi i signalizaciji
na cestama. NN 59!00.
Okomita prometna signalizacija-promjenljiva prometna
signalizacija. Tehnicka komisija CEN/TC 226, prEN
(3] RWVZ- Richtlinienfiir Wechselverkehrszeichen an BundesfemstrafJen.
Bundesministerium fi.ir Verkehr, Ausgabe
(4) RWVA - Richtlinien fiir Wechselverkehrszeichenanlagen
an BundesfemstrafJen. Bundesministerium fi.ir Verkehr,
Guidelines on the Use of Changeable Message Signs.
Federal Highway Administration, Virginia, USA, 1991.
Merkblatt fiir die Ausstattung von Verkehrsrechnerzentralen
und Unterzentralen. Bast - Bundesanstalz fi.ir Strassenwesen,
Ausgabe, Marz 1999.
Multimodal Traveler Information System. GCM ITS Priority
Corridor, Chicago, 1998.
(8] Changeable Message Sign. Transportation Research
Studies, Lincoln, Nebraska, 1999.
(9] Zakon o sigumosti prometa na cestama. NN 59!96.
(10) Zakon o javnim cestama. NN 100!96.
Highway Capacity Manual. Transportation Research
Board, National Research Council, Washington, D. C.,
Smjemice za primjenu promjenljivih prometnih znakova.
Institut prometa i veza i Zg-projekt d.o.o., Zagreb,
(13] HRN 1120:2002 hr Prometni promjenljivi znakovi, norme
u izradi za kontinuirane i nekontinuirane znakove,
Authors who publish with this journal agree to the following terms:
- Authors retain copyright and grant the journal right of first publication with the work simultaneously licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution License that allows others to share the work with an acknowledgement of the work's authorship and initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are able to enter into separate, additional contractual arrangements for the non-exclusive distribution of the journal's published version of the work (e.g., post it to an institutional repository or publish it in a book), with an acknowledgement of its initial publication in this journal.
- Authors are permitted and encouraged to post their work online (e.g., in institutional repositories or on their website) prior to and during the submission process, as it can lead to productive exchanges, as well as earlier and greater citation of published work (See The Effect of Open Access).